Lincoln and I had a conversation the other day about jobs. I was complaining that I have to work on Saturdays. I don't know of anyone else with my same position that has to work on Saturdays. The reason being that I'm the top bridal consultant in my store. Though this may sound cool it's really not that great.
Basically if you are getting married and want to register at Bed Bath, and Beyond you come in to the store and I'm the one who helps you. My "numbers" are better than the other consultants in the store, so if I'm available they send all the couples my way. Saturdays are our busiest days for registries, so naturally they want their best bridal consultant working.
Back to the conversation, I was frustrated because being "good" at my job gets me crappier hours. It's not fair. Of course I know that life isn't fair, but I took the full time position hoping to not have to work Saturdays. We talked about how working harder often times gets you more responsibility which in turn requires you to work harder. An endless circle....sigh. Oh well venting about my job was not the purpose of this blog. I merely wished to convey how sometimes you feel unrewarded for your efforts. My cousin Hannah comes to mind, but that's besides the point.
Today I was rewarded!!!! My boss came in and handed me an envelope and said full time employees that don't call in sick for a full year get a gift card. He was unsure if I qualified for this because I have not been full time for a year. But he submitted my name nonetheless and they said okay. So today I can home with $100 gift card (to Bed Bath, and Beyond, of course) all because I'm a good employee. Woot Woot!
Oh and another happy point of the day, my husband put together my lunch this morning and added Cheesy Poofs, wonderful Cheesy Poofs!
Good day.
3 comments:
Aw. Yes, I feel your pain. This is so crazy because I was feeling the EXACT same thing today...lots of work -- GOOD work and somehow unrewarded. But I'm glad you got rewarded! That is awesome! It is nice to get some recognition through action rather than just words.
Nice! What are you going to get! Ps How fun for your parents to have a new place!
I also find myself in this precarious position. it's kind of nice to have good stats, but you are right, even though we are good at our jobs doesn't mean we always like it. I want to be an appraiser, yet my boss likes how well I sell appraisal software...sigh. one day our dreams will come true.
Post a Comment