Thursday, January 19, 2012

Hockey



For Christmas my parents bought us tickets to Lincoln's favorite hockey team, the Buffalo Sabres. They were in town playing the Chicago Blackhawks. Lincoln was really excited he's never seen the Sabres live.

So last night we put on a our Sabres gear and headed out extra early (you never know what Chicago traffic is going to be like). When we got there parking was super expensive (but worth not having to walk in the Windy City winter). They double parked everyone unless you wanted to pay extra. We figured we would just take our time after the game and not worry about being boxed in.

At the game we got hotdogs, fries and a churro (which is a necessity at every major sporting event). And aside from the guy behind us spilling some beer on Lincoln's seat, the 300+ lb guy sitting next to me and the Sabres losing we had a great time. Someday we would like to go to a game in Buffalo. It would be a lot more fun to participate in the home crowed cheering like this...


I always forget that I can't turn my camera sideways when taking video. Sorry. But you can see how much fun everyone is having after the Blackhawks scored. We are sitting down sulking...

There was a decent smattering of Buffalo fans.  People did stare (which is to be expected when wearing the opposing teams gear), but I didn't expect the pointing. Yes, more than one person pointed at me. And I'm not sure if it's because of my shirt or my belly. Maybe a combination of the two.

After a sad loss (6-2 Blackhawks) it was time to head home. We took our time getting to the car and when we got there, yep, we were boxed in. The car right next to us was not however, and it was saddening see how excited those guys were to just get in there car and leave. We did luck out though because the man that had parked us came and guided us out inch by inch (of course he did expect a tip in the end). But we did make it out of there faster so we did not complain.

All in all a great date night. If the Sabres come back next year I think we will have to go again. Thanks again mom and dad!
This is the United Center (also where the Chicago Bulls play)

The Sabres warming up. I didn't get any of the actual game. I guess I was too busy watching.

No comments: