Thursday, September 01, 2011

Grandma Oka


Some of my favorite things about grandma:

* We share the same birthday. I have only spent 2 out of the 26 birthdays away from her.
* She always wore lipstick when she left the house. Always
* She frequented the Japanese word 'udasai' (nuisance) when talking about her grandchildren!
* Her garden. From weeding and picking and canning she did it all.
* She loved to gamble. If there was a slot machine she'd put in a quarter. She often rode the "fun bus" to Wendover.
* Most of all, the whole family would congregate at grandma's every Sunday. Grandchildren, Aunts, Uncles, all of us finding any piece of open floor space to take a nap. Lots of Nintendo playing, and of course LOTS of food (which almost always included rice and potatoes).

Grandma Oka will be missed. I'm so grateful for all of the memories. Til we meet again...

3 comments:

Melody and Lance said...

I'm sorry for your loss Lynn. Your grandma was a great person! I'm sure your grandpa is thrilled to have her back :)
Give your fam hugs for me <3 <3 <3

Jewls said...

I'm sorry about your grandma! What a great legacy she left though!

That is the sweetest picture ever, she looks like such a cute lady!

Judy said...

Thanks for sharing your memories. It is sad to lose a cherished family member. I hope Lincoln is able to be comforting to you since you.