Friday, January 23, 2009

Conundrum

So this is the conundrum of my life at the moment....

I would like to start my own business. My friend, yes just a friend, Mike and I have team up for what we feel would be a great business opportunity. The idea is to start some sort of college hangout. We found a great old movies 3 theater for the location. It's right in the heart of downtown Logan. We would like to bring in local bands, comedians, have open mic nights, etc. And that's just in one of the theaters. In the other two we would take out some seats and put in tables. This would allow us to show movies or sporting events and sell 'real' food. Sounds like a great idea right?

Well turning a great idea into a working business is 100 time harder than one would think. And I'm not talking about the money. I have actually found investors willing to put up the money. All we need to do is come up with business plan.

Well we found out about a contest at the university. They are giving $2,000 to the group that can come up with the best business idea. We found out about this 3 days ago and figured we'd give it a shot. After all we will eventually need this. So my complete lack of experience in writing an executive summary has been no help. OH and did I mention it's due by midnight? Yeah pushing deadlines I know.

So to my conundrum (great word), once we got started writing the summary we realized we wouldn't make any money. And we now know why no one has ever started this in Cache Valley. How do we make this work. We factored in number after number. We just don't make a be enough profit to make this work. Not to mention it will take us 20 years to pay off the investors.

What to do, what to do

2 comments:

Samantha said...

Oh dear. That is a conundrum! It sounds like it would be way fun! But of course a huge risk! Good luck in whatever you do!! :)

derek said...

Weird, well at least you figured it out before you started the place...Salt Lake has great fun there too! Everyday there are job opportunites calling tracey...tracey torman..